Pulaski Community Hospital's lineage dates back to a small cottage hospital in 1915. At that time, the facility had seven beds and was located in a building originally used by General Chemical Company. The Pulaski Hospital Association was chartered to manage the hospital's affairs.
In 1926, under the direction of Dr. D.S. Divers, Dr. R.F. Thornhill, Dr. R.H. Woolling, and Dr. H.R. Farley, Pulaski Hospital, Inc., was founded. This new hospital was built on Randolph Avenue, and replaced the little cottage hospital that started it all.
Pulaski Hospital, Inc., was physician owned, and started out as a 15 bed facility. In those days, the beds were iron with flat springs stretched across them. The mattresses were five or six inches thick and made of felt. Back care was very important, and not having the modern adjustable beds of today, they used wooden backrests to prop up the patients.
In September of 1948, the Pulaski Hospital School of Nursing was opened and offered a three-year course in nursing, leading to a diploma upon graduation. The Virginia State Board of Nursing Examiners approved the nursing program, which stayed in operation until sometime in the late 1950's.
Around 1960, a west wing nursing unit, physician's offices, morgue, and storage areas were added onto the hospital, and in 1965, the name was changed to Pulaski General Hospital. After growing for many years, Pulaski General Hospital needed a change. After much deliberation on the issues of renovation versus new construction, it was decided that a new facility would be built. This $3 million state of the art hospital was built on a 23-acre site inside Pulaski's northern corporate limits off of Route 11. The land for the site was acquired from Mrs. Helen D. Wyatt of Pulaski, and on July 29th, 1973 at 2:00 p.m., Pulaski Community Hospital was officially opened with a gauze cutting ceremony.
In 2010, Pulaski Community Hospital was renamed LewisGale Hospital at Pulaski as it become further integrated in the LewisGale Regional Health System.
When it opened, LewisGale Hospital at Pulaski employed approximately 250 people. Now with over 400 employees, LewisGale Hospital at Pulaski is still state of the art with new medical equipment, patient care systems, and much more. We strive to stay on top of the latest technological advances in order to provide the best for our patients.